[Series] TMI #6 – Editorial Edition
28/03/2011 § 3 Comments
Welcome to TMI Week! We are taking a break from blogging to dedicate some brain-time to our coursework, and so we thought we’d beef up our Two Minute Insight shortcast series. Over the next 5 days stop back by to hear some brief thoughts on a variety of topics related to Librarianship, library school and the state of education.
The HackLibSchool Editorial team – minus Julia :( – took fifteen minutes to discuss what we see as some major issues that will be facing librarianship in the next few years. FYI – this was the first time we have actually all “talked” to one another, and it was cool just to hear one another’s voices. Also, this is meant as a practice in vocalizing our ideas in a different medium, and we hope you’ll forgive any novice nervousness and/or technological glitches.* This episode breaks the Two Minute mold by about 13 minutes, but we thought it’d be nice to introduce ourselves and our emerging ideas is this format. Expect more team-sized shortcasts in the future.
Here’s the hightlights in case you can’t listen to the whole thing:
Question: What are the major issues facing libraries and librarianship in the next few years?
- Heidi – We must be proactive instead of reactive.
- Britt – Have to start considering serving the middle demographic (25-45), libraries are of the community despite govt connections.
- Annie/Micah – Experiential connections in the institution and digital preservation can bolster the profile of the library in a digital world.
- Zack – Re-conceptualizing our place in society is necessary.
- Lauren – Must begin advocacy and marketing better to help others realize the value of librarians/librarianship.
- Nicole – How to evolve and adapt to new needs. What does the public want from us?
*Micah’s note: Feel free to drink every time I say “great”… After class, in the comfort of your local pub or home, and of legal age, of course.